Back to News
Are you taking gabapentin or pregabalin (brand names include Lyrica, Alzain, Neurontin)?
Posted on 14 Mar 2019
The changes outlined below come into affect from 1st April 2019. These changes follow a government consultation because of concerns around misuse and will mean that these drugs become Controlled Drugs.
What does this mean to me?
There will be changes to the following:
- Prescriptions will expire 28 days from the date on the prescription
- Any pharmacy ‘owings’ must be collected by the expiry
- Quantities will be reduced to a maximum of 30 days
- Electronic prescribing cannot be used
- You will need proof of identity to collect from a pharmacy
- You will need to sign when collecting your prescription
- Emergency supplies and loans cannot be made from pharmacies if you run out.
Do I need to do anything?
Make sure you get any prescriptions you already have dispensed before 1st April 2019.
If you are owed any medication by your pharmacy, make sure you collect this before 1st April 2019.